Hakuna Matata

Hi All,

"It means no worries for the rest of your days"

I love songs like Hakuna Matata from the Lion King, it is such a worry free song. It is upbeat, fun, and just takes me to my happy place. We all have trials and tribulations in life, but one thing I know for sure, humor is the key to happiness. I love to laugh, and make people laugh. When is the last time you had a good ol' belly laugh where you laughed so hard it hurt? Mine was about 2 weeks ago, and as much as it hurt, the release was even better. I can tell you so many stories of what I've done or said to people, I am the ultimate jokester. 

Hakuna Matata - My Happy Place, Bonavista, Newfoundland

Often people say to me "Shelley, with the childhood you had, how do you always remain so happy." My answer is quite simple, I always choose happiness, good people, good energy, and most importantly, humor. People get caught up on things they can't control, but if you stop and accept what you can't change then it frees you to control the things you can change. When there are things that I have to deal with, I give it a set amount of time, let myself feel it, and then move on. Dwelling on it will not give a different result.

For example, recently my son moved 4200 kms away from Ontario to British Columbia, so quite the distance. I've always been close with my kids and admittedly done alot for them. When my son said "Mom, I know what I want for Christmas",  "I said and what is that". He said I want a one way ticket to British Columbia. My first initial reaction in my mind was,  No way, forget it, you can't live without me, you can't handle life without me. Do you even know how do to laundry, do you even know how to cook for yourself. Then I stopped myself before I spoke, and just took in what he told me. 

 Ryan was so excited, and had it all figured out, and I realized I was about to burden him with my fear of the unknown. He is excited about the unknown, and couldn't wait to see what the move brought him. I decided I was not going to burden him with my feelings, but to sit down and talk about why the move is so important to him. After 2 hours of watching videos, and discussing his move, I found myself so excited that he is finding his way, on his own. He is 20 years old, and at some point our children are going to leave our home and move on. Having an open door policy with no judgement allowed him to freely discuss, and share his dreams and aspirations. He left right after Christmas and his intention was to get an apprenticeship as a Glass Blower, and within 1 month he achieved his goal. We as parents have to trust our kids, and believe in them. We've nurtured them, and taught them, now it is their turn to take their lessons and turn them into life experiences. 

Until then...Thanks for stopping by

Shelley Harris
Certified Life Coach

Twitter: mobile_mentor
Instagram: shellharris
Web: www.shelleyharris.ca
Blog: http://shellharris.blogspot.ca/
Email: shelley@shelleyharris.ca


Ryan's Grade 12 Graduation (2012)

Ryan skiing in British Columbia

Glass Blowing



My 3 beautiful children




Comments

Popular Posts