Out with the old...In with the New



It's midnight on a cold November night, everyone has gone to bed, and I am sitting here listening to my dog snore beside me lol. As I sit here, I'm here thinking about the holidays, and reminiscing about holidays gone past, and also realizing I haven't blogged for sometime. I was going to write some more excerpts in my book, but I decided to blog instead.

I always loved the holidays, even as a child, because it was that one day I felt like a normal kid. We celebrated and received gifts like everyone else. I didn't feel different that one day, it was great. If your familiar with my blogs, you will know my family was very troubled, and very dysfunctional. Once we opened up our gifts Christmas morning and played with them for a while, we took our new favourite toy and headed to my grandparents for the day where all my moms side of the family were there as well.  It was always good to see my moms side of the family until things changed.

Some really unfortunate circumstances happened, and it tore our family apart. I don't dwell on it, they have to live with their decisions, and lives they chose. I know I am free and clear of any toxicity from them and that is all that matters to me.

As the holidays fast approach, I started beating a different drum. Although I still love the holidays, I do find it very difficult to celebrate without my family being together. I know moving out to Newfoundland was going to be tough for family gatherings, but I guess where my family is spread out in Canada makes it that more difficult to get together.

Each year since I moved here I find myself trying to persuade my older kids to come for Christmas, but for different reasons they are not able to. I have tried to create new Christmas traditions here but it has been hard. Christmas Eve, which is my favourite day of the year was always surrounded by family and friends, with so much love, and togetherness. I really miss those times.

I struggle to find my place here for the holidays. Don't get me wrong, we have family over Christmas Day, and it is really nice, but the void of not having my older kids here is something I'll never get use to. Living in a small town, everyone knows everyone, and has their traditional holiday celebrations. Hopefully we can continue to add in new traditions each year so it will help.

I brought along my tradition of New Years Eve celebrations, what a blast the past few New Years Eve have been here. We have a full house, with so much food, music, fire works, and amazing fellowships. Speaking of fellowship, it really amazes me how people come together in a small town for things that have happened. Whether people lose their home or items in a fire, a family death, praying for someone during surgery etc. it just really amazes me!

Recently I was in awe of what the parents of my daughters hockey team did for a mother who had breast cancer surgery. There are 29 kids on the team, and each parent took a night or two to cook for them. Other mothers were driving their kids to hockey practices, or school etc... it truly warmed my heart of what this community is like!

So what are some of your traditions, share below?

Until Next Time...Thanks for Stopping By

Shelley





Comments

Popular Posts